The withdrawal agreement: how can I apply for the Spanish residency?

Spanish Withdrawal Agreement

What situation are you in?

  • Lived in Spain before the 31st of December 2020: Withdrawal Agreement.
  • Lived in Spain after the 31st of December 2020: non-EU residency path.

If you have been living in Spain before the 31st of December 2020 you can obtain the Spanish residency via the ‘Withdrawal Agreement’. This allows British people to easily formalize this new type of residency as if they were EU citizens.

Two Alternatives

If you meet the requirement for the Withdrawal Agreement you have two choices:

  1. If you have the “green card” (the EU Registration Certificate) you can exchange it for the residence permit at the Police Station, and get your TIE card directly.
  2. If you don’t have the “green card”, you have to start the special application procedure via the EX-20 form.

The EX-20 application

This application procedure can be done online here.

You need the following documents or proofs:

  • EX-20 application form
  • Valid Passport
  • “Empadronamiento” from your Town Hall
  • Sufficient economic means
  • Health insurance certificate

And, for family members, the document that proves the family bond, apostilled and translated.

The TIE card

After obtaining the Spanish residency, it’s time to get the TIE or Spanish Residency Card. You need to make an appointment with the Police Station that can be done online here.

You need the following documents or proofs:

  • EX-23 application form
  • “Modelo 790” form with the public fee payed at the bank.
  • Valid Passport
  • Residency permit (EX-20 resolution)
  • Passport photo

The TIE card can be valid for 10 years or 5 years, depending on if you have lived in Spain for more than 5 years or not.

Living in Spain since 2021

If you have moved to Spain in 2021 and cannot apply for the Withdrawal Agreement, do not worry, you just need to apply for a regular residency permit.

Check what options you have in our next post!

Do you need extra help?

If you need extra help with your Spanish residency permit do not hesitate to contact us.

We will be glad to help!