How can I apply for the Spanish residency in 2021?

Living in Spain prior or after 2021

If you have been living in Spain before the 31st of December 2020 you can obtain the Spanish residency via the ‘Withdrawal Agreement’, just like we explained in our last post.

But if you moved to Spain after the date above, you will have to apply for a regular residency permit, just like any other non EU resident.

Permit Options

There are different types of permits that you can apply for, each one with their own requirements.

Some of the most common ones, are:

  • The Non-lucrative residence visa
  • The investor’s visa
  • The student visa

The non-lucrative residence visa

This is the better option if you are not working or you want to retire in Spain, and it applies to your family too. The duration of this visa is for 1 year, but it can be renewed until you get the permanent residency.

The main requirements are:

  • Sufficient economic means
  • Private health insurance

Take note that this visa doesn’t allow you to do any type of economic or professional activity in Spain; to do so, you will need to modify it towards a work permit!

The investor’s visa (Golden Visa)

Also known as ‘Golden Visa’, this type of permit has a very quick and easy procedure, and it is applied for non-EU citizens that realize a significant investment in Spain.

The investments can be:

  • Real estate purchase (+500.000 €)
  • Buying shares of a Spanish company (+1 million €)
  • Having a bank deposit in Spain (+1 million €)
  • Possession of Spanish public debt (+2 million €)
  • Investing in a business project

This visa grants you the right to live and work in Spain and has a duration of 2 years, and can be renewed after 5 years, after which you can apply for a permanent residency.

The student’s visa

This visa is really an authorization to live in Spain while taking studies in public or private educational centers, such as a university degree, master, etc.

The main requirements are:

  • Certificate with the admission to the course
  • Sufficient economic means
  • Private or public health insurance

This residence can be modified afterwards to a work permit as a self-employed or employee, and you can also bring your family while studying!

Where to apply?

Let’s take a look on each visa:

  • Non-lucrative visa: is a two part procedure, starting the application in the country of origin and obtaining the residence card afterwards in Spain.
  • The investor’s visa: it can be applied in your country of origin or, if you are already in Spain, online HERE.
  • The student’s visa: it can be applied in your country of origin or directly in Spain via appointment with the Immigration Office.

Do you need help?

If you need extra help with your Spanish residency permit do not hesitate to contact us.

We will be glad to help!